Greens are Mother Nature’s vitamins! When you eat a diverse selection of greens you are providing your body with an incredible array of vitamins and micronutrients. Did you know that a serving of kale has more calcium than a serving of milk? Here at Aspen Moon Farm we take great pride in growing the highest quality greens for you. Customers tell us over and over again that we grow incredible greens. We hope you’ll enjoy them.
There are so many great recipes that highlight the unique flavors of different greens (kale, chard, collards, frisee, mustard…), but here are some easy ways to get more greens in your diet.
- Making pasta? Chop greens into thin strips and put in the colander before you pour the pasta in to strain. The greens will be steamed just right to add to your meal!
- Making rice? After rice is cooked, take off the lid and throw chopped greens on top and put the lid back on quickly. Again, steamed just right!
- Making soup? Put chopped greens in the bottom of each bowl and pour soup on top- perfect!
- Add some to your smoothie!
- Use tender greens (spicy greens mix, frisee, chopped kale, arugula, romaine lettuce…) tossed with a little oil and vinegar as the bed for whatever you are making for dinner (rice and beans, pasta and sauce, fish and veggies…). The hot food will wilt the greens just right for a delicious, beautiful meal.
- Not sure what to do with these greens? Most greens are excellent lightly sauteed with onion or garlic in olive oil or butter with a little salt and pepper. Be careful not to overcook. Bright green is the preferred color.